Border patrol jobs at the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge, New York, are steadily increasing, thanks to bilateral trade agreement between the United States and Canada. This Port of Entry is part of the Buffalo Northern Border Sector, which has seen steady increases in employment throughout the years. For example, there were 204 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers in the Buffalo sector in FY2008 and 311 in FY2011.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Homeland Security and Emergency Management and M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security & Counterterrorism, and M.S. in Criminal Justice - Advanced Counterterrorism
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
The CBP officers and border patrol agents in the Buffalo sector in FY2011 were responsible for 2,114 apprehensions, seizing 1,426 pounds of marijuana and 9.36 pounds of cocaine.
CBP officers are tasked with controlling all traffic flow on the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge and identifying and preventing the entrance of terrorists or illegal aliens. Border Patrol jobs are challenging and more important than ever since the events of September 11, 2001, changed the landscape and scope of border protection in the United States.
Border Patrol Requirements in Whirlpool Rapids Bridge, New York
Similar to other Border Patrol careers throughout the United States, Border Patrol requirements for CBP careers at the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge, as all candidates must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Hold U.S. residency for at least 3 years
- Hold a valid driver’s license
- Have no domestic violence convictions
Further, because U.S. Customs and Border Protection is now under the Department of Homeland Security, all candidates must pass strict tests, including fitness, background, criminal, drug, and polygraph tests. In addition, a Border patrol job requirement also includes a two-part examination.
Border Patrol careers include 401K plans, life insurance, and health insurance, and starting salaries for Border Patrol jobs range between $38,619 and $49,029.
Whirlpool Rapids Bridge, New York, Port of Entry
The Whirlpool Rapids Bridge in New York is a two-hinged arch bridge that connects Niagara Falls, New York and Niagara Falls, Ontario. It is located just north of the Rainbow Bridge and has two decks; the lower deck is reserved for passenger vehicles only.
Niagara Falls, which is located in the Golden Horseshoe region of Southern Ontario, had a population of nearly 83,000 in the 2011 census. Niagara Falls, New York, which is across the Niagara River from Niagara Falls, Ontario, had a population of about 50,000 in the 2010 census.