Historically, the Havre, Montana Sector hasn’t seen significant activity in terms of border crimes. However, September 11, 2001 radically changed this when dozens of Border Patrol and customs professionals relocated to this area from the Mexican border during that time. Now, the Havre, Montana, Sector is just one of many Northern Sectors where railway sweeps are the norm and passenger inspections are common.
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Capella University offers 100% online criminal justice degree programs and is proud to be partnered with the FBI National Academy Associates (FBINAA).
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) oversee Border Patrol jobs in the Havre, Montana Sector, which is now under the umbrella of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security since 9/11. Border Patrol professionals are charged with managing, controlling, and protecting our nation’s borders between all official Ports of Entry.
The CBP, as of FY2011, supported 213 border patrol jobs in the Havre, Montana Sector, an increase from 156 in FY2009 and 103 in FY2007. CBP professionals here were responsible for 270 apprehensions in FY2011 alone.
Border Patrol Requirements in the Havre, Montana Sector
The Havre, Montana Sector, which also provides law enforcement support to Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, includes 456 miles of international border, which spans from the Montana-North Dakota border to the Continental Divide.
The CBP professionals who have recieved the training and education necessary for careers at the Havre, Montana Sector include:
CBP Officers: CBP officers are the first-line officers who use full law enforcement powers to make arrests and prevent terrorists and terrorist weapons from crossing the border into the United States. These CBP professionals are also tasked with seizing contraband, drugs, and other illegal narcotics.
Border Patrol Agents: CBP Border Patrol Agents are charged with preventing terrorist and terrorist weapons from crossing into the U.S. They also must detect, prevent, and apprehend illegal aliens and individuals who are in violation of immigration laws.
All Border Patrol Agents and CBP officers must meet the following, minimum requirements:
- They must be under the age of 40 unless they meet Veteran eligibility or unless they have previous experience in federal law enforcement.
- They must be a U.S. citizen.
- They must be fluent in Spanish or able to quickly learn Spanish.
- They must hold a valid U.S. driver’s license
- They must be able to pass a background check, a medical examination, a fitness test, a drug test, and a credit check.
All CBP officers and Border Patrol agents receive a starting salary of between $38,619 and $49,029, depending on experience and education, and all CBP professionals are afforded federal benefits, including retirement benefits, life insurance benefits, long-term care benefits, and health insurance benefits.
Havre, Montana Border Patrol Sector
The Havre, Montana Sector consists of the following Border Patrol stations:
- Billings Sub-Station
- Havre Station
- Malta Station
- Plentywood Station
- Scobey Station
- Shelby Station
- St. Mary Station
- Sweetgrass Station
- Twin Falls Sub-Station