As of FY2011, there were 311 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers in the Northern Sector, Buffalo, area, and the Border Patrol jobs in Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge, New York, were a vital component, as approximately $2 billion in goods travel across the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge every year.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Homeland Security and Emergency Management and M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security & Counterterrorism, and M.S. in Criminal Justice - Advanced Counterterrorism
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
Like other Ports of Entry, the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge is an area where CBP officers accept merchandise and the collection of duties and enforce all customs and navigation laws. The Buffalo sector was responsible for 2,114 apprehensions in FY2011 alone.
Border Patrol Requirements in Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge, New York
The CBP officers of the Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge must meet the same requirements as other officers through the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. For example, all candidates seeking a career in the U.S. Border Patrol must meet specific Border Patrol job requirements. For example, they must be no more than 40 years old; they must be U.S. citizens; and they must hold U.S. residency for at least 3 years. They must have no domestic violence convictions on record, and they must also possess a valid U.S. driver’s license.
Further, candidates seeking a career in the CBP must pass the following:
- Criminal history background check
- Credit check
- Fitness test
- Two-part written examination
- Polygraph test
All CBP officers receive a starting salary of between $38,619 and $49,029, as well as retirement, life insurance, and health insurance benefits.
Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge Port of Entry
The Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge, which is also called the Seaway Skyway and the St. Lawrence Bridge, spans the St. Lawrence River and the St. Lawrence Seaway. This international bridge, which features six spans that total 1.5 miles, connects Ogdensburg, New York, with Johnstown, Ontario.
The Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge is part of the Ogdensburg Border Patrol Station, which was established in 1931. It is responsible for 48 miles of border along the St. Lawrence River. The Port of Ogdensburg is the only U.S. port along the St. Lawrence Seaway.
A $20 million rehabilitation project for the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge’s suspension system is currently underway to make much-needed repairs to the ailing, 60-year-old structure.