Despite the fact that the Del Bonita port is the fifth most used border crossing in all of Montana, it has considerably less traffic coming and going across the border than its neighboring ports. For this reason, it is a popular recommendation given by locals. Named after and situated South of Del Bonita, Alberta, Canada, this US port is classified as Class A, meaning all aliens can designate its use.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Homeland Security and Emergency Management and M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security & Counterterrorism, and M.S. in Criminal Justice - Advanced Counterterrorism
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
Being open from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. from June 1 to September 15 and 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from September 16 to May 31 makes this port an excellent choice if one is looking for flexible hours when it comes to a career in border patrol and protection. Del Bonita is a “Permit Port,” so all potential cargo a citizen is interested in importing must be approved at the Great Falls Service Port in advance of showing up at the border crossing.
Considering this port is located in the Northern most area of the US, it would do well to any prospective CBP candidates to keep in mind that cold weather is often a factor on the job. Although the entire port itself consists of three separate buildings, it will inevitably still be a requirement to venture outside.
Border Patrol Protection Job Requirements for Del Bonita, Montana
Enforced with the trust to uphold a variety of regulations of customs and navigation laws, border patrol agents and CBP officers at Del Bonita are authorized to determine the acceptability of merchandise and to collect duties. Compared to some of the larger port of entries in the US, the Del Bonita entry port will, for the most part, offer as relaxed an environment as could be possible in the world of CBP careers.
The requirements for becoming a CBP officer or border patrol agent are as follows:
- During the time of becoming employed, be 40 years of age or younger
- Be a U.S. citizen and current resident
- Either already be fluent or willing to become fluent in the Spanish language
- Possess a valid Montana driver’s license
- Submit and pass to an extensive background check
- Pass a series of tests, such as: medical examination, drug test, and physical fitness test-2
Upon becoming a successful candidate, one will then enter the CBP academy, which is designed to get the applicant the training necessary in order to be on his or her way to becoming an border patrol agent or CBP officer. The academy lasts on average around two months, but will continue on for a month and a half if the candidate does not already know Spanish.
Career Outlook for CBPs in Del Bonita
As a part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), the Del Bonita facility was remodeled in order to house the latest technology used to strengthen the US borders. Having been previously out-dated, this was a welcomed and much needed change that allowed the opportunity to enhance security for both local citizens and CBO employees.
With more than 5,000 border patrol agents and CBP officers hired throughout the Northern region, the prospects for becoming a CBP professional have never been higher, especially in areas such as Del Bonita.