Although Delaware is one of the smallest states in the nation, is quite significant in terms of border control activity due to its Mid-Atlantic location on the northeastern portion of the Delmarva Peninsula.
Delaware is part of the Swanton Border Sector, which covers Vermont and a number of counties in the state of New York and New Hampshire. The Swanton Sector encompasses about 24,000 square miles and about 261 miles of International Boundary.
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Capella University offers 100% online criminal justice degree programs and is proud to be partnered with the FBI National Academy Associates (FBINAA).
As of 2011, there were 302 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) jobs in the Swanton Sector, which is an increase from 292 in 2010. Swanton Sector CBP agents took credit for apprehending 815 illegal border crossers and seizing some 28 pounds of cocaine and 7,415 pounds of marijuana in 2011.
Border Patrol Career Requirements in Delaware
The CBP, which is now under the direction of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, demands a number of requirements for CBP professionals. Although specific education and experience requirements vary according to the various CBP careers, basic requirements include:
- U.S. citizenship
- U.S. residency
- Valid U.S. driver’s license
All candidates interested in a career in the CBP must undergo background, criminal, and credit checks, and all individuals must pass a medical examination and physical fitness test. Present and past arrests and convictions, convictions of domestic violence, drug use, and certain financial problems may prevent individuals from gaining employment through the CBP.
The CBP jobs that may be found in Delaware include:
- CBP officers – CBP officers have full law enforcement powers to seize terrorist weapons, contraband and other illegal items and apprehend illegal aliens attempting entrance into the country.
- Border patrol agents – Border Patrol Agents are trained to detect and prevent terrorists, terrorist weapons and prevent illegal aliens from entering the country.
- Intelligence research specialists – Intelligence research specialists use specialized training and knowledge to prevent terrorism, trade violations, drug trafficking, and human smuggling.
Delaware’s Port of Entry
Delaware’s Wilmington Port of Entry is where CBP officers may authorize the delivery of merchandise, collect duties, and enforce the provisions of navigation and customs laws.