Connecticut is a unique state that, although it has no direct ocean coast, does have easy access to the Atlantic Ocean via the Long Island Sound and the Block Island Sound. Connecticut is bordered by New York State, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and the Long Island Sound, thereby presenting a need for U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) presence and protection.
- Grand Canyon University - B.S. in Homeland Security and Emergency Management and M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- SNHU - A.S. in Criminal Justice, B.S. in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security & Counterterrorism, and M.S. in Criminal Justice - Advanced Counterterrorism
- Strayer University - Bachelors of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Michigan State University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Saint Joseph's University - Online Master of Science in Criminal Justice
Border patrol jobs in Connecticut are available through the Swanton Sector, which also oversees the entire states of Vermont and Delaware and a select number of counties in New Hampshire and New York. The Swanton Sector, in total, covers more than 24,000 square miles and 261 miles of International Boundary.
Border Patrol jobs and U.S. Customs careers in Connecticut have increased along with the number of positions created in the Swanton Sector, from 292 in FY2009 and 294 in FY2010 to 302 in FY2011. In addition, CBP jobs were responsible for 815 apprehensions in FY2011, along with the seizure of 7,415 pounds of marijuana and more than 28 pounds of cocaine.
Border Patrol Careers in Connecticut
Like other CBP jobs throughout the United States, border patrol jobs in Connecticut and the Swanton sector require specialized training. Because the CBP is now under the umbrella of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security since September 11, 2001, the job requirements are distinct. In particular, all CBP candidates, in addition to meeting specific education and experience requirements, must:
- Be U.S. citizens
- Hold U.S. residency
- Hold a valid U.S. driver’s license
- Pass criminal, background and credit checks
- Pass a physical fitness test
The Swanton Sector may employ a number of CBP professionals, including:
- CBP Air Interdiction Agent
- CBP Officers
- Border Patrol Agent
- Intelligence Research Specialist
All jobs through the CBP come with a generous federal benefits package, which includes: a 401K plan; retirement benefits; health insurance; long-term care insurance; and life insurance.
There are a number of ports through which CBP professionals work in Connecticut:
- New Haven Port of Entry
- Hartford Service Port
- Bridgeport Port of Entry
The New Haven and Bridgeport Ports of Entry are where CBP officers are authorized to accept merchandise, collect duties, and uphold and enforce customs and navigation laws, while the Hartford Service Port is where cargo processing duties are handled, including inspections, entry, collections, and verification.