In order to apply for a Management and Program Analyst job with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the applicant must meet the following basic qualifications:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Resided in the U.S. for the three years prior to hiring, or served overseas with the military or a federal agency
- Pass a security background search
- Pass a drug test
- Have registered with Selective Service
- Possess a valid state driver’s license
Academic and Degree Requirements
The minimum educational qualification for Management and Program Analyst jobs is a bachelor’s degree, and a great number of professionals possess an advanced degree like a master’s, PhD or a MBA. Because these jobs are often in supervisory positions or in positions requiring extensive data management skills, an advanced degree is often a pre-requisite. The following majors provide the most competitive credentials when applying for these jobs:
- Business management
- Political science
- Statistical analysis
- Organizational behavior
- Information science
These jobs require that professionals possess well-developed talents in the following areas
- Analysis and evaluation
- Problem solving
- Data collection and management
- Human resources management
- Project management
- Oral and written communication
Professional Certification Options
Professionals who wish to gain a competitive advantage may also seek professional certification through an industry related organization.
- The Department of the Navy offers a certification program in Program and Management Analysis that requires successful completion of 11 courses over a three-year period.
- The Institute of Management Consultants offers a three tier system for certification
- Basic certification is available for management analysts with three to nine years of professional experience. Written and oral examinations must be successfully completed.
- Experienced certification is awarded to those with a Basic certification and 10 or more years of professional experience.
- Management certification is reserved for professionals in senior management and at least 20 years of experience. An examination with oral and written parts must be passed.
How to Apply for Management and Program Analyst Jobs
Work experience for these jobs is a must, as many of these positions require specialized knowledge of organizations and methodologies. Although prior federal government experience is not a necessity, it is often helpful to have some experience as an employee or as an outside consultant.
An application package including the candidate’s resume, college transcripts and documentation related to prior employment in the military or government agency must be submitted. If the application is approved the candidate will be referred to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement hiring manager who will schedule one or more interviews to discuss the position and the candidate’s qualifications. A written examination may also be required of the candidate.